Solutions Architect (cloud experience) – Job Description
Responsible for the overall application systems design, balancing requirements against resource utilisation and architectural factors. Is knowledgeable in all aspects of designing and constructing application systems and comfortable in developing requirements and design specifications for new and existing applications. Focuses primarily on the end to end application solution to guide the solution towards the long term needs of the organisation.
Areas covered include the following: data, work flow, integration, encompassing applications, hardware platforms, interfaces with peripheral systems, internal and external checks and controls, and the evaluation of 3rd party vendor solutions.
Serves as a technical design leader in the integration of application solutions and architecturally significant components. Prepare architecture and design blueprints that cover the required stakeholder viewpoints. Perspectives should provide integrated views including; business capabilities and associated functions, processes, information flows, application and systems composition, technologies (infrastructure) and security. Carries out research and consults industry experts with regards to best practices and technology trends. Develops application design guidelines, standards and patterns.
Gives input into the strategic technology direction of the organisation from a logical, physical and application architecture perspective. Sets the future direction and develops the migration plans for the applications to meet the business and architectural objectives of the organisation.
Ensure synergy between business processes and systems design, identifying opportunities for process optimisation through system enablement.
- Develop and communicate Solution Architectures in response to Business Requirement Specification documents for implementation of new architectures
- Approve changes to Principles, Standards and Reference Architectures as a result of a Solution Architecture delivered to meet a Business Demand
- Provide expert advice to project teams regarding the design of major corporate systems. • Build customized solutions to meet a client’s unique business needs for complex changes and new architectures
- Mentor internal and external stakeholders on the use of the tools, framework and artefacts.
Key Performance Areas:
- Architecture methodologies, frameworks and processes
- Ensure alignment with emerging Technologies and possible recommendation of new technologies based on best practices and industry standards
- Change Champion
- Significant knowledge of client/server and internet systems architectures • Application Architecture and Design
- Database Platforms and design
- Practical business solutions implementation
- Information Security fundamentals and architectures
- Bachelor degree in either Information Systems, Informatics or Computer Science or Engineering (or equivalent work experience)
- Honours or Masters in Information Systems, Informatics, Computer Science or Engineering is preferred
- TOGAF/ Zachman Certification
- Azure Certification
- 8 -10 years and/or relevant industry and experience in relevant discipline of which at least 5 years within the solution design or architecture sphere
- Cloud services experience
- Azure or AWS experience
- Migration from on premise infrastructures to cloud environments
- Methodologies and Ontologies: SDLC, Togaf, Zachman, SOA, Object Orientation and Webservices/ ESB/ Middleware
- Technical Competencies: Microsoft Office Products , IT Architecture , Project management, Unified Modelling Language (UML) and Rational design toolset application
- Other Competencies:
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing environment and quickly build understanding of the business and IT context/landscape
- Ability to work under pressure in terms of strict deadlines and complex work environments
- Drive own delivery of projects to meet deadlines
- Ability to professionally present Architecture to various different forums (for example at Exco and Technical Governance Forums)
- Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making
- Systems Analysis: Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes
- Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Deductive Reasoning: The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense
- Inductive Reasoning: The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events) • Excellent communication skills: Ability to engage with high-level stakeholders, both verbal and non-verbal
- Ability to communicate a deep understanding of the business and a broad knowledge of technology and applications
- Technical Literacy: Possess a high level of technical literacy, which helps them determine how a software solution fits into an organization’s current structure and assists in the development of specifications and requirements
- Analytical Assessment: A high level of analysis to examine current systems and determine overall project needs and scope
- Schedule Management: Extensive time management skills to determine development schedules and milestones and ensure that deliverables are completed on time
- Team Leadership: To oversee and direct development teams throughout the project development lifecycle, experience with team leadership and motivation is essential
- Ability to translate strategy and strategic objectives into measurable and executable projects • Experience working on large project(s) incorporating processes and procedures and standards • Creativity, self-confidence, and flexibility
- Gather Functional Requirements: Working closely with sales team members and enterprise architects to gain a complete sense of client expectations and limitations before undertaking a major development project
- Develop Specifications: Use familiarity with functional requirements and existing systems to develop project specifications. Required to develop schedules and test plans, prepare documentation based on analyst reports, and assemble documents presenting project guidelines and milestones to team members. At the same time, identify potential issues between systems and client specifications and propose new solutions to work around these limitations.
- Determine Project Scope: Determine a project’s scope before developers begin any major work. Conduct extra research on a client’s existing systems and configurations to determine whether added time and work is necessary to align the project with enterprise-level systems. Identify areas where implementation may require more solutions to be successful. Throughout this process, one should communicate directly with enterprise architects, developers, and clients.
- Lead Development Teams: Throughout the development lifecycle, one should directs and oversees the activities of a team of developers, answering questions or helping to resolve issues as they arise. This aspect of the role requires one to ensure that specifications and requirements are clearly articulated to their development teams. Monitor timelines and progress to ensure that team members are adhering to these specifications. May also serve as a liaison between client facing personnel and developers.
- Interface Directly with Clients: From the initial conversations to determine project scope and specifications to the final presentation of software solutions, one meets directly with clients to provide feedback and updates on development projects. Prepare reports and presentations, as well as demonstrations, to keep the client informed about issues that arise during development and report on integration and deployment. Receive updated specifications and requirements from clients throughout the development lifecycle.
- Manage External Vendors: For many projects, one will work with outside vendors to develop and implement specific aspects of the software solution. This aspect of the role may require the you to consider costs and timelines and ensure that vendors meet deadlines for deliverables and project elements. Review proposals and estimates from these vendors and determine whether they fit into existing budgetary and time restrictions and ensure that external solutions work with internal development projects.
To apply for this job please visit www.jcmconsult.co.za.