Solution and Security Architect -Job Description
Responsible for the overall application systems design, balancing requirements against resource utilisation, architectural factors and provisioning cloud-based security architecture solutions for clients that meet regulatory obligations and data protection requirements.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Gather functional requirements by working closely with sales team members and enterprise architects to gain a complete sense of client expectations and limitations before undertaking a major development project
- Develop specifications by using familiarity with functional requirements and existing systems to develop project specifications. Required to develop schedules and test plans, prepare documentation based on analyst reports, and assemble documents presenting project guidelines and milestones to team members. At the same time, identify potential issues between systems and client specifications and propose new solutions to work around these limitations.
- Determine a project’s scope before developers begin any major work. Conduct extra research on a client’s existing systems and configurations to determine whether added time and work is necessary to align the project with enterprise level systems.
- Identify areas where implementation may require more solutions to be successful. Throughout this process, one should communicate directly with enterprise architects, developers, and clients.
- Throughout the development lifecycle, one should direct and oversee the activities of a team of developers, answering questions or helping to resolve issues as they arise. This aspect of the role requires one to ensure that specifications and requirements are clearly articulated to their development teams. Monitor timelines and progress to ensure that team members are adhering to these specifications. May also serve as a liaison between client facing personnel and developers.
- Interface directly with clients from the initial conversations to determine project scope and specifications to the final presentation of software solutions, one meets directly with clients to provide feedback and updates on development projects.
- Prepare reports and presentations, as well as demonstrations, to keep the client informed about issues that arise during development and report on integration and deployment. Receive updated specifications and requirements from clients throughout the development lifecycle.
- For many projects, one will work with outside vendors to develop and implement specific aspects of the software solution. This aspect of the role may require you to consider costs and timelines and ensure that vendors meet deadlines for deliverables and project elements.
- Review proposals and estimates from these vendors and determine whether they fit into existing budgetary and time restrictions and ensure that external solutions work with internal development projects.
- Perform security assessments, identify gaps in existing security architecture and recommend changes or improvements.
- Design security architecture elements to mitigate threats.
- Create solutions that align enterprise security architecture frameworks and standards (e.g. NIST, ISO 2700x, CIS) with overall business and security strategy.
- Assist in developing a disaster recovery and business continuity plan. Identify and prioritize system functions required to promote continuity and availability of critical business processes such that in the circumstance of system failure critical business functions are restored or recovered promptly.
- Prepare and package architecture and design blueprints that can be used to fast track project delivery within different contexts.
- Carry out research and consults industry experts with regards to best practices and shift in cybersecurity trends and opportunities.
- Document security strategy that aligns security posture and business strategy.
- Document migration plans, transition architectures and roadmaps that realistically evolves the maturity of client cybersecurity safeguards and defences.
- Document security requirements and controls for protecting information, systems, and technology assets.
- Define and document how the implementation of a new technology impacts the security posture of the current environment.
- Provide input on security requirements to be included in request for proposals (RFPs), statements of work (SOWs) and other procurement documents.
- Communicate current and emerging security threats to project team members.
- Document security programme governance requirements and structures.
- Document and refine security related policies and standards.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in either Information Systems, Informatics, Computer Science, Engineering or any other relevant field.
- Honours or Master’s in information systems, Informatics, Computer Science or Engineering is preferred
- Is certified as a Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect Expert (or near completion)
- TOGAF/Zachman certification would be beneficial.
- 10 years working experience in the relevant industry and/or discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience within the solution design or architecture sphere
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Security Architecture
- Software Development experience is an advantage.
- Experience in migrating from on premise infrastructures to cloud environments.
Skills and knowledge:
- Knowledge and experience in identifying gaps in existing architectures.
- Knowledge of computer networking concepts and protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, DNS) and network security methodologies.
- Knowledge of network access, identity, and access management (e.g. public key infrastructure, Oauth, OpenID, SAML, SPML).
- Knowledge of capabilities and applications of network equipment including routers, switches, servers, transmission media, and related hardware.
- Knowledge of remote access technology concepts.
- Knowledge of application firewall concepts and functions (e.g. single point of authentication enforcement, data anonymization, DLP scanning, SSL security).
- Knowledge of identity and access management methods.
- Experience with Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS and Android operating systems. • Experience with Azure and M365 platforms.
- AWS and Google Cloud experience will be beneficial.
- Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Systems Analysis: Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Deductive Reasoning: The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive Reasoning: The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Excellent communication skills: Ability to engage with C-level stakeholders, both verbal and non-verbal and communicate a deep understanding of the business and a broad knowledge of technology and applications.
- Technical Literacy: Possess a high level of technical literacy, which helps them determine how a software solution fits into an organization’s current structure and assists in the development of specifications and requirements.
- Analytical Assessment: A high level of analysis to examine current systems and determine overall project needs and scope.
- Schedule Management: Extensive time management skills to determine development schedules and milestones and ensure that deliverables are completed on time for oneself and your team.
- Team Leadership: To oversee and direct development teams throughout the project development lifecycle, experience with team leadership and motivation is essential
- Ability to translate strategy and strategic objectives into measurable and executable projects
- Experience working on large project(s) incorporating processes and procedures and standards
- Valid drivers’ licence and own means of transport.
- Ability to deliver exceptionally against stringent deadlines.
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing environment and quickly build understanding of the business and IT context/landscape.
- Ability to work under pressure in terms of strict deadlines and complex work environments.
- Drive own delivery of projects to meet deadlines.
- Ability to professionally present Architecture to various different forums (for example at Exco and Technical Governance Forums).
To apply for this job please visit www.jcmconsult.co.za.