Data Engineers – Job Description
As a software developer/engineer you will be responsible for designing, coding, testing, and analyzing software systems and applications. This includes researching, designing, documenting, and modifying software specifications throughout the production life cycle. You will be using Google Cloud Platform/AWS to translate business requirements and specifications into usable and scalable software.
Data engineering is the backbone of modern AI solutions. As Data Engineer, you will guide customers on how to ingest, store, process, analyze and explore/visualize data in various environments. You will work on data migrations and transformational projects that drive massive value to large enterprises in many verticals. You will architect and design large-scale data processing systems, develop data pipelines optimized for scaling, and troubleshoot potential platform issues.
- When given a series of test projects, show ability to apply yourself, work independtly, research, select platforms and tools and deliver good results in a reasonable time fame.
- Deliver successfully as part of a Pod / live project.
- Able to collaborate within a team and manage client relationships.
- Able to follow frameworks, update systems and report on work.
- Show satisfactory progress with ongoing learning and certification of platforms / frameworks and tools used.
- Participate in knowledge sharing. Embrace the concept and take ownership of life-long learning. This should include internal resources and self study and where applicable formal training and events – owned and driven by the employee. Contribute to knowledge sharing formally / informally. Present monthly – agreed-upon topic within knowledge sharing sessions. Rate knowledge sharing contributions form other team members
- Software development experience
- Data handling experience
- Cloud tools/platforms (Google Cloud Platform/AWS)
- Excellent computer/MS Office skills
- Adaptability and flexibility – cope with complexity and changes to priorities and conditions
- Calm under pressure/Positive Stress Management – stable performance under heavy stress
- Efficiency of execution – able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort / fuss
- Excellence/High standards – expects personal and team performance to be nothing short of the best
- Follow-through on commitments
- Integrity/honesty – does not cut corners ethically, earns trust and confidence, always does what is right
- Organisation and planning – efficiently plans, organises, schedules, focusing on key priorities
- Resourcefulness – great at finding ways to overcome obstacles, by innovating or adapting methods
- Analytical/Analysis skills (numerical)
- Analytical/Analysis skills (reasoning)
- Attention to detail
- Conceptual ability
- Relevant Science Degree – ideally at postgraduate level or equivalent
- Sofware development – languages / toolsets – certifications
- Data related – toolslets, platforms – certification
- Opensource tech02
- Cloud platforms: Google Cloud Platform/AWS
To apply for this job please visit www.jcmconsult.co.za.